New In Union Square: Great Green Tacos From Dos Toros



I happened upon Dos Toros, a California-inspired Taqueria on 4th Avenue between 13th and 14th Streets just this past week and I am already planning my third trip! Having spent 4 years living in Los Angeles, I have been constantly frustrated by the lack of authentic Mexican food available here. I will venture on occasion to El Paso Taqueria up on 103rd and Lex for some excellent and tasty fare, but I haven't found the right place here around Union Square, that is,until now! I was delighted with my first Carne Asada taco simply prepared with soft taco, beef, and some green sauce. The soft taco itself has that indescribable fresh taste that you only find in the most legit of establishments. The beef was tender and appropriately seasoned with the cilantro that is missing at so many places. I am actually starting to drool at this point. I haven't tried the burrito yet, but I look forward to it- they seem like a very popular item. I went back yesterday for a quesidilla and guacamole. The guac was tasty and just-made fresh. It might use just a hint more garlic, but that is the only, very minor fault I have found.
The furnishings are sparse yet sleek with thick wood block tables, rawhide strapped stools and a recycled tin ceilings. The menu is equally sparse, as the owners, 2 brothers transplanted from San Fran, want to focus on simplicity and the freshest ingredients. As an added bonus all containers and utensils are fully compostable and the just about everywhere you turn the focus is on local, organic, renewable, biodegradable, and sustainable. So, you can feel good about this place in so many ways. My favorite way remains in my tummy!
Dos Toros Website
4 Stars On Yelp.com
More Details From NYT Article Today (NY Times)

Comments

  1. It's an old post of yours that I found but thanks for the tip. I hope Dos Toros is still in business - I love Mexican food and will definitely go give it a try.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts